Layers of the Earth
- Layers of the Earth Template
- Coloring Materials (Colored Pencils, crayons, paint, etc)
- Pen or pencil
- Watch the video linked below.
- Print out from the Layers of the Earth Template:
- 2 copies of the “Earth Diagram”
- 1 copy of the “Layers of the Earth Diagram”
- Cut out all 3 diagrams and the 5 small squares
- Color the 2 “Earth Diagrams”
- On the “Layers of the Earth Diagram”
- Label the 7 blank spaces with the correct layer of the earth (Note: Refer back to the video if you are confused.)
- Match and glue each of the 5 small squares to its correct Earth layer (Note: Some of the answers may not be straightforward; think critically and refer to the video if you need help. Before gluing the squares, check the Answer Key make sure you have all the correct answers )
- After checking your answers, color in the layers of the Earth as instructed:
- Inner Core: White
- Outer Core: Yellow
- Lower Mantle: Orange
- Upper Mantle: Red
- Crust: Green
- Fold all 3 diagrams in half so that the colored side is hidden and the blank side faces you
- Glue one blank half of each diagram to the blank half of the other until only the colored portion shows.
- Poke a hole on top using a sharp pencil or pen and loop a string through the hole, making sure to tie the string in a tight knot (Note: It can be dangerous to poke the hole! Ask a parent for help to make sure you do not hurt yourself).
- You are done! Ask a parent to hang up your “Layers of the Earth” Model on the ceiling of your room!
- Is the inner core mostly solid or liquid? What about the outer core? Why is there a difference when both are made from similar elements
- The inner core is mostly solid but the other core is mostly liquid. The solid state of the inner core is a result of the immense pressure present at this point in the Earth.
- What factors do you think are obstacles for scientists who want to dig a hole deep into the Earth? Why is it so hard to reach the center of the Earth?
- The temperature and pressure as you go deeper into the Earth reaches extremely high levels. Currently, we do not have the technology to create a machine or device that can withstand such a harsh environment.
Suggested Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k8qArKCovc